Scallops with Citrus & Grana Padano Topping, Fennel, Endive, Grapefruit & Grana Padano Salad
Alex Mackay, cook, teacher, writer and food lover serves up the perfect New Year's Eve dinner party menu for your festive celebrations.
This is a sweet, tart, tasty carnival of colour and flavour to send you soaring into 2021. The soft scallops are set off beautifully by the crunch of the endives, the zesty citrus and the deliciously moreish Granda Padano shavings.
Serves 4; Preparation time: 30 minutes ; Cooking time: 10 minutes ; Difficulty: Moderate
1. Use a zester to remove the zest from the grapefruit, lemon and lime.
2. Cut the top and bottom off the grapefruit. Cut away the peel and pith in strips. Cut the grapefruit segments out of their white membranes. Cut each segment into 3. Set the segments aside in a small bowl. Squeeze the core of the grapefruit into a second bowl, you should get a least 2 tbsp of juice. Add the extra virgin olive oil to the grapefruit juice, season to taste with salt, sugar to balance the grapefruit and cayenne pepper for a little heat.
3. Cut the fennel in half lengthways. Slice it as finely as possible then add it to the dressing and toss until the fennel is well coated with the dressing.
4. Put the fennel onto your plates, followed by the citrus segments, Grana Padano shavings, pomegranate seeds and any green fronds you managed to get from the fennel. Put the dressing that remains in the bowl next to your cooker.
5. When you are ready to serve, mix the citrus zest with the grated Grana Padano.
6. Next, get a large frying pan. Add the vegetable oil and get it really hot. Fry the scallops for 1 minute each side over a high heat. Put the scallops onto your plates with the salads. Add 4 tbsp of water to the empty pan. Bring to the boil. Scrape to remove all the caramelised scallop juices. Add this liquid to the remaining dressing. Spoon the dressing over the top of the scallops.
7. Sprinkle the Grana Padano and cirtus zest mixture onto the scallops. Serve.