Iced Maple Lemon Cake
This tangy iced lemon loaf cake can be enjoyed at anytime of the day - or night
Versatile, delicious and naturally produced, pure Canadian maple syrup is free from artificial additives and flavourings and a natural source of energy. Make it your Christmas ingredient this festive season and join in the celebrations on Maple Syrup Day - December 17 - head over to our competition page to be in with a chance of winning a Maple cookbook and Maple cooking ingredients
Serves 8-10 portions Preparation time: 15 mins Cooking time: 1 hour Difficulty: Easy
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/Gas 3 and grease a loaf tin with butter.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and maple syrup until pale, creamy and fluffy.
3. Mix in eggs one at a time, followed by maple syrup. To this, fold in the flour, baking powder, ginger and lemon zest and stir to fully combine.
4. Pour into a greased loaf tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven, turn out into a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Meanwhile, mix together all of the iced topping ingredients in a small bowl until a thick but pourable consistency is formed.
7. When the cake is fully cooled, pour the topping in a zig-zag motion and leave to set. Garnish with extra lemon zest and serve.
8. Keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days or freeze straightaway for up to a month.