Marmalade recipe didn't work the same!
Last week I made Delia's Dark Chunky Marmalade, using Seville oranges that had been frozen for several months (I therefore used 1.7kg fruit instead of 1.35kg). I have used this recipe before and it worked perfectly, cooking in stage 2 taking around 3
But this time the setting temperature of 105˚C was reached within 10 minutes of reaching a gentle simmer (checked with 2 thermometers). I continued cooking for 2.5 hours more. The result is delicious, but only just usable because of its consistency.
Why do you suppose my marmalde reached the setting temperature so very quickly?
Perhaps it was the combination of too much liquid evaporating during the first stage, a slightly higher ratio of pectin and a slightly higher heat during stage two.
If your marmalade is over set you can correct it…
I would spoon all the contents into a large pan and add 200ml of fresh orange juice.
Wash and sterilise the jars and wash & dry the lids.
Heat the marmalade gently until it has all melted. Then bring it up to a simmer and let it simmer for about a minute and then remove the pan from the heat.
At this point you could put a spoonful on a chilled plate and put it back in the fridge until the marmalade it is cold. This way, when it is cold, you can check if the marmalade is a good consistency. (If it’s still too solid I would add some more orange juice and simmer again)
Leave to settle then re-pot and cover with fresh waxed paper and the lids.
Hopefully it will be a much better consistency.