Just about everyone has one area of cookery they are less than confident about, so if you worry that you can't make pastry, your custard is always lumpy, your cakes sink, or roast potatoes turn out rubbery, this is the place to put it right.
You can also watch Delia's videos in our Cookery School here.
If your question's not answered, why not put it to a wider audience on our forums?
Muddled by metric? View our conversion tables here
Return to Homepage
Visit the Delia Online Cookery School
- Eggs make a great meal poached, fried, scrambled or used to make a quick omelette. But it's all too easy to end up with rubbery strands so if you find your cooked eggs aren't all they're cracked up to be, take lessons from Delia!
- Once you’ve identified which cuts of meat to use, you need to brush up your skills in casseroling, frying, grilling and roasting. It’s not as difficult as you might think – as long as you follow a few simple rules. Delia tells you how…
- Who doesn’t love chicken? It’s only right that you should know how to cook it properly so follow Delia's simple rules on casseroling, roasting, grilling and frying – plus techniques for jointing and carving and you’re away!
- Some people think there’s a real mystique to cake-making and other baking, but as Delia says, it’s all in the weighing. So follow her step-by-step techniques for all-in-one sponge cakes and pastry from choux to shortcrust and you’ll never go wrong again.
- Follow simple rules for grilling, frying and poaching and a shoal of fish recipes opens up to you: then apply Delia’s techniques to any type of fish. In addition she explains how to dress a crab, shell prawns and bone a herring, trout or mackerel.
- These accompaniments make or break a meal: asparagus with hollandaise, the Sunday roast with gravy, apple pie and custard… you get the gist. With a few simple techniques up your sleeve you’ll be able to turn your hand to every sauce imaginable.
- Steaming asparagus, roasting veg, mashing potatoes, preparing a mango: this section includes some of the most useful techniques around, allowing you to make fluffy, creamy mash, perfect asparagus and a host of other essential foods.
- How often have you ended up with sticky rice and soggy pasta? It’s a shame as these two foods are a doddle to prepare to perfection. Just follow Delia’s easy guidelines and you’ll have perfect rice and pasta time and time again.
- A well-risen loaf with a soft crumb and that sublime yeasty smell is one of life’s great pleasures. And you know what? It really isn’t difficult to make at all, even if you don’t have a breadmaking machine! Kneading is also a great de-stresser…
- Dry-roasting spices, cracking a coconut, making caramel, using gelatine and melting chocolate are all extremely useful skills to have in the kitchen. Follow Delia’s step-by-step illustrated techniques and you’re bound to get it right!
- From luscious, jewel-like strawberry preserve to the fleeting pleasures of marmalade made from Seville oranges and festive delights of a jar of home-made mincemeat, it’s all here!