Basic Fish Batter
Delia tends not to deep-fry fish these days, but there's no denying that properly made fish and chips is one of life's greatest pleasures. If you really want to do it yourself, here's Delia's definitive batter recipe for fish. The vital point to remember when frying fish is that the fat must be really hot before the fish goes in. If it's not you will get a soggy result that's also very oily.
Makes enough for four 6-7 oz (175-200 g) pieces of fish
4 oz (110 g) self-raising flour
½ teaspoon salt
5 fl oz (150 ml) water, plus 1 scant tablespoon
Just sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl, then gradually add the water, whisking continuously until the batter is smooth and free from lumps.
Return to Homepage
Visit the Delia Online Cookery School with Waitrose
Click here to go to Waitrose.com
Most Popular recipes
- Win a Judge Meat Mincer & Sausage Maker
- Win a year's supply of Sacla Pesto and £100 shopping voucher!
- The Ultimate Fast Food - Omelettes
- New products!
- Easy Biscuits and Cookie Recipes
- Win tickets to see Stones in His Pockets
- Win a £250 Wren Living home voucher
- Delia Online Bakeware and Equipment Range!