Auld Alliance Chicken
A different but easy to prepare dish suitable for dinner party
4 med Chicken breasts 4 slices black pudding
sm clove of garlic, crushed 5/6 sprigs tarragon
black pepper to taste slug of cider
1 dessert apple eg French Golden Delicious
sm clove garlic 250 ml double cream
good slug of cider 1/2 tsp cider vinegar
large pinch coarse ground black or mixed peppercorns
- Put black pudding in frying pan on med heat and add garlic. Break down black pudding as it heats and mix in garlic.
- Peel, core and chop apple and add pan
- Remove leaves from tarragon and chop finely then add to pudding and mix through.
- Add cider a little at a time to make pudding moist (black pudding varies from brand to brand).
Taste and add some ground pepper to own preference. Allow to cool
- Heat oven to 175
- Place chicken breasts one at a time between two sheets of cling film, or in a large freezer bag, and beat with mallet, rolling pin or saucepan to flatten out and set aside
- Take one chicken breast and place 1/4 of pudding mix near to front and spread slightly across width of chicken.
- Roll like swiss roll and then roll in foil square which has been brushed with a little olive oil twisting ends closed to look like a sausage.
Repeat with remaining chicken
- Places 'sausages' on baking tray and place in oven for 35-40 mins. It is ready when chicken feels firm when squeezed gently.
- Approx 10 mins before serving warm a little olive oil in a pan and gently cook garlic for a couple of minutes - do not allow to brown.
- Add cider and bring to boil and allow to reduce until slightly thickened.
Add cream, pepper and vinegar and heat through again.
- Taste. If still sauce still has the normal creamy sweetness add a little more vinegar (easiest done by pouring onto a teaspoon first to avoid 'overkill') Add salt to taste.
- If you feel the sauce has thickened too much or does not have enough 'boozy' flavour just add a little more cider, or whisky, or brandy, or a dash of milk of no more flavour needed. Keep warm
- When the chicken is cooked leave it to rest for a few minutes.
- Unwrap carefully and any juices can be added to sauce.
Place chicken on a plate and slice diagonally into two or three chunky slices and arrange to show black pudding.
Sauce can either be drizzled over or served in a separate sauce boat.
I like to serve this with mange tout, julienne carrots and baby new potatoes roasted with olive oil and a few prigs of rosemary. A glass of chilled Chardonnay goes rather well too!!!!
Recipe images are not uploaded yet.
Please note: this recipe has been submitted by a user of this website and is not one of Delia's. We cannot, therefore, take any responsibility if the recipe contains errors, does not work or is not as you expect it to be, although, as our users are keen cooks, we are confident it will be a great dish. Delia tests each of her recipes three times, which is why you can always be sure of success.
Most Popular recipes
Win one of ten pairs of tickets to see Taken At Midnight. Enter now!
Meat Free Monday
Win a £200 supermarket voucher courtesy of Rapeseed Oil Benefits!