African Beef Stew
The peanut butter makes this beef casserole have a unique taste, giving it a rich gravy.
1 1/2 lbs stewing steak.
2 large onions.
2 large carrots.
1 - 2 cloves garlic.
1 1/2 oz. butter or peanut butter.
2 level tablespoons tomato puree or ketchup.
1 bay leaf.
pinch powdered cloves.
pinch powdered ginger.
shake cayenne pepper.
tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar.
3/4 pint stock
1 oz. peanut butter.
1 oz. flour.
2 - 3 tablespoons water.
- Cut the meat into pieces,
- then peel and slice the onions
- and carrots
- and crush the cloves of garlic.
- Melt the butter or peanut butter and toss the meat and vegetables in this for a few minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree,
- bay leaf,
- and seasoning,
- together with the lemon juice
- and stock.
- Bring to the boil, then cover the pan and simmer until tender - approximately 2 1/2 hours.
- Add the peanut butter
- and the flour blended with the water.
- Cook, stirring well, for a few minutes until well thickened.
- Taste, and re season if wished.
Total cooking time: 2 hrs.45 mins.
Preparation time: 35 mins.
Recipe images are not uploaded yet.
Please note: this recipe has been submitted by a user of this website and is not one of Delia's. We cannot, therefore, take any responsibility if the recipe contains errors, does not work or is not as you expect it to be, although, as our users are keen cooks, we are confident it will be a great dish. Delia tests each of her recipes three times, which is why you can always be sure of success.
Most Popular recipes
Autumn apple recipes