Crumble Bars (or Festive Flapjacks)
Easier and dare I say nicer than mincepies!!
- 225g (8oz) porridge oats
- 170g (6oz) soft brown sugar
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 85g (3oz) plain flour
- 170g (6oz) butter, melted
- 425g (15oz) jar of mincemeat<
- An alternative to mincemeat is a date filling as follows
- 150g chopped dates
- 60ml cold water
- 25g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Place dates, water, sugar and extract in a pan and heat gently until the mixture forms a stiff paste. Add more water if required. Leave to cool and use as for mincemeat. Another alternative is Apricot Jam, or any jam you fancy
Grease and line a 30cm x 17cm x 2cm tin with two strips of greaseproof paper lined across the tin, to make it easier to lift out when cold.
Pre heat oven to 160C fan or 180c conventional oven.
Mix the oats, flour, sugar and bicarbonate together and then stir in the melted butter.
Press half of the mixture in the prepared tin, press down with a potato masher and then spread the mincemeat over the top. Carefully scatter the remaining mixture over the top. Press down again, gently this time/p>
Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing into bars. Sprinkle some icing sugar to make it look festive! Store in an air tight tin.
Recipe images are not uploaded yet.
Please note: this recipe has been submitted by a user of this website and is not one of Delia's. We cannot, therefore, take any responsibility if the recipe contains errors, does not work or is not as you expect it to be, although, as our users are keen cooks, we are confident it will be a great dish. Delia tests each of her recipes three times, which is why you can always be sure of success.
Most Popular recipes
Autumn apple recipes