Best eaten warm from the oven with a tomato based dish like chilli.
150g cornmeal (use a very fine polenta or maize meal flour. Coarse polenta is too gritty)
2 tbsp caster sugar
125g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
half tsp bicarb of soda
half tsp salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
250ml buttermilk (or plain yoghurt slightly thinned with milk)
60g melted butter
1. preheat oven to 210 deg C
2. Grease and line an 8 inch square tin
3. Put corn meal, sugar, sifted flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a bowl and mix.
3. Combine egg, buttermilk and melted butter in a jug. Stir quickly into dry ingredients until they are just moistened. Do not over mix.
4. Pour into tin, smooth top, and bake 20-25 mins until golden. Test with skewer.
5. Allow to sit 10mins, then cut in squares and serve warm.
Recipe images are not uploaded yet.
Please note: this recipe has been submitted by a user of this website and is not one of Delia's. We cannot, therefore, take any responsibility if the recipe contains errors, does not work or is not as you expect it to be, although, as our users are keen cooks, we are confident it will be a great dish. Delia tests each of her recipes three times, which is why you can always be sure of success.
Most Popular recipes
Our Top 10 Easter Chocolate Cakes
Win with New Zealand Lamb & Gastrolux Cookware