Black Bun (Hogmanay)
A traditional 'cake' to make for Hogmanay. It is a beautifully moist cake, wrapped in pastry to keep it moist.
9 oz (225g) self raising flour.
good pinch salt.
3 oz (75g) butter.
water to mix.
1 lb (400g) raisins.
1 lb (400g) currants.
2 oz (50g) chopped mixed peel.
2 oz (50g) whole almonds blanched and halved (skinless).
4 oz (100g) caster sugar.
8 oz (200g) self raising flour.
1 level teaspoon (5ml) ground ginger.
1 level teaspoon (5ml) ground cinnamon.
¼ level teaspoon (1.25ml) black pepper.
5 tablespoons (75ml) whisky.
5 tablespoons (75ml) milk.
Method for the Pastry:
- Sift flour and salt into a basin, rub in butter.
- Mix to a soft dough with water.
- Use 2/3rds. of the pastry to line a 7 ½ inch (19cm) round, loose bottomed cake tin.
Then the filling:
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling and press into the pastry case.
- Press the top of the pastry over the filling, dampen with water.
- Roll remaining pastry into a lid, place over the filling, seal edges well.
- Glaze with beaten egg.
- Cook for about 2 hours.
- Allow to cool in the tin before removing.
Oven: 350 F. 180 C. (adjust for a fan oven) Gas No.4
Recipe images are not uploaded yet.
Please note: this recipe has been submitted by a user of this website and is not one of Delia's. We cannot, therefore, take any responsibility if the recipe contains errors, does not work or is not as you expect it to be, although, as our users are keen cooks, we are confident it will be a great dish. Delia tests each of her recipes three times, which is why you can always be sure of success.
Most Popular recipes
- Old-fashioned Cherry Cake (non-sinking cherries)
- Fruit Cake (with crushed pineapple)
- Covering a square fruit cake with marzipan and sugarpaste
Sunday Roast Recipes
Win a Panasonic Breadmaker and a supply of Carr's Flour